International Association of Blacks in Dance Conference & Fesitival:: Then, Now & Next
Time & Location
About the Event
The International Association of Blacks in Dance (IABD) hosts its 32nd Annual International Conference and Festival of Blacks in Dance – THEN NOW NEXT – in Philadelphia, PA from January 14-19, 2020, in partnership with Philadanco!, The Philadelphia Dance Company. Continuing its legacy as the broadest international gathering of Black Dance professionals, agents, artistic directors, artists, choreographers, company managers, executive directors, historians, presenters, scholars, teachers, and many others, the conference and festival remains the most diverse place to share ideas, cultures and experiences.
The Ultimate Dance Experience
A pioneering four-day dance experience where attendees will engage in a multitude of invaluable opportunities expanding their understanding of dance history and technique through Conference and Festival programming that includes an awards celebration, meals and social events, a membership town hall, performances and sessions.
Engage in your love of the art form while networking with your peers through the implementation of our Conference and Festival track system:
- Artist (18+, Choreographers, College Students, and Professionals)
- Education (Educators, Parents, Researchers, and Scholars)
- Leadership (Agents/Managers, Artistic/Executive Directors, Funders, Staff and Studio Owners)
- Youth (10-18, Grade and High School Students)
The Conference and Festival engages each registrant to promote a vibrant future for dance. Curated programming of the Conference and Festival is designed to make you move, talk and learn.
- At the Feet of the Masters – A two-hour session focused on a specific style/technique of dance followed by a Q&A with a master teacher for intermediate and advanced dancers.
- Lecture Demonstration – An interactive presentation incorporating a topic of discussion through music and dance.
- Movement Workshop – The exploration of the body and its ability to adapt and move though space.
- Roundtable – A forum motivated by a specific topic and the desire to discuss and debate.
- Workshop – An intensive experience that provides the tools and knowledge required to explore and further the development of your craft.
- Digital Presentation – A visual presentation which has components and content that are accessible through technology that help you better convey your message and illustrate your material.
- Film – A motion picture that stimulates experiences that communicate ideas, stories and perceptions.
- Lecture – An oral presentation that presents critical information about a particular subject.
- Panel – An intimate conversation between colleagues centered on a topic, question or idea presented to an audience.
This gathering of the national and international dance community is the perfect opportunity to learn from and share experiences with dance artists from around the world.
The International Association of Blacks in Dance, Inc. graciously acknowledges and thanks the Sponsors, Community Partners, and Contributors for their generous support of the 32nd Annual International Conference and Festival of Blacks in Dance.